Intensive Couple Retreats
What is an Intensive Couple Retreats?
It’s the most effective form of couples therapy proven to help couples on the brink of divorce or who are the in gridlock of the power struggle.
One partner withdraws and distances, thinking their partner is controlling and selfish. The other partner pursues, chases and criticizes – fearing that their partner will never meet their needs and that they might even be abandoned. An intensive couple’s workshop will help you break out of this toxic cycle in usually one weekend.
For potential clients who are out of town but wish to work with Awakenings’ clinician, we offer flexible length intensives. These couple intensives last between one and three days, and are often scheduled over the weekend.
Who are Intensive Couple Retreats For?
- You want to dramatically improve intimacy in a short amount of time.
- Your emotional connection is suffering and you need intensive coaching to hear what your partner is saying
- You are in a toxic cycle of criticize – withdraw that repeats and repeats
- You or your partner had an affair and you can’t get past it
- You are considering divorce
Couple Intensive Topics
Couples often use the weekend to advance their sexual relationship and devote time to being away together and learning to safely talk about their needs, fantasies, desire and learn new sexual techniques. Other times, couples use the time during a couple intensive to work through a stuck place or conflictual issue in their relationship.
What to expect
Expect a fast paced, gentle but direct therapy that quickly helps you get to the bottom of your problems. Therapists who offer intensives are expert and experienced at triage. Most of our intensive clients report a turn-around equivalent to a year of therapy. We work from a scientifically- research theory – see how it looks in real life here!
- Hour long pre-assessment telephone or online tele-therapy
- Extensive forms that must be filled out before the weekend
- Non-refundable prepayment of total of 12 hours at booking. If we cancel for any reason, we will refund your prepayment in full.
The three day couple intensive will comprise twelve to sixteen hours of therapy including the hour-long first interview. Please call 919-845-5400 today!
Typical 3 Day Itinerary
Friday Evening 3:00 — 7:00 PM
- Set our goals
- Review current functioning
- Start on one example
- Homework assignment
Saturday Morning 9 AM — 12:00 PM
- Deep dive into the couples dynamics
- Review family of origin blueprint
- Possible separate session with each individual partner
- Discussion of sexual gridlock
Saturday Afternoon 1:30 PM — 5 PM
- Identify your own contributions to problems
- Learn the steps that stop the toxic cycle of blame and withdrawal
- Practice risking vulnerable communication with the therapist’s keeping the conversation safe
- Sexual communication, education, homework assignment
Sunday morning 9:00 AM — 1:00 PM
- Review yesterday’s assignments
- Identify secondary stressors in relationship and family
- Process 1 trauma or past relational hurt
To ensure comfort for guests, hotel and restaurant (not included in price) recommendations will be sent to you. For any questions, please call our main office line at (919) 845-5400 and ask about weekend intensives.